Friday, October 1, 2010

70.3 Augusta

This past weekend, I was in Augusta for my last US race of the season, I was hoping for big things..

The days leading into the race were hot and I was more than a little worried I would have a melt down.
Being a Kiwi boy… I like it cold… or more I’m use to it being cold…

So when race morning rolled around I was probably the only person that was happy it was raining. I thought this would only help me.

It was a quick stop in transition to sort out my race nutrition and then off to the swim start via a school bus. I had forgotten how small the seats are in school buses. 6”3 of man in a Childs seat = a bad time..

The swim was a point to point with the current and while I didn’t have a great swim it was easy enough to stay near the front of the main bunch.
Out onto the bike and 4 guys had a gap on us of about 45sec and it stayed that way until near the end of the bike when we managed to pull two of them in…( t Andrew Yoder and Marko Albert stayed off the front)
At this point I was more than a little worried, as my legs felt bad…
I would have been in a lot more trouble if it wasn’t for my awesome Rolf Prima wheel set, they practically did the work for me. Thanks for keeping me at the front on a rough day team.





















A good friend of my says “ bike legs aren’t run legs” so I still had high hopes.
Out of T2 I decided to run solid, ( but not like a crazy man running a 3k ).. as that didn’t play out to well for me last time. The plan was to try and even split the run and come home strong…. However at about 1 mile I thought my chest was going to explode.. I was hurting bad and watching the top places run away from me.

I kept a little chime going in my head “ you feel good , you feel strong “ for the majority of the run. It was the only thing that kept me going, I think my body was rejecting my mind though because I ran a 1:23 and it hurt like I was sprinting the entire time…

At the end of the day I was stoked I hung tough and finished leaving everything I had out of the course.. I couldn’t have gone any harder.. I just simply didn’t have it today….
But I’m hoping that will make me a stronger athlete in the future..

I managed to keep my top 10 finish alive with a 10th place finish in 3:57:27 in another tough field.

I’m looking forward to doing some run training over the next month or two and hitting a late 70.3 or two.



















Thanks again to all of you who support me… you keep me clothed, rolling , feed, hydrated , buoyant and all round awesome… so thank you very much

Special thanks to the team from Jacksonville for making me laugh, when I thought all the laughter had left my body.. smiles help ease the pain.. ha

Steve and the team at blueseventy. Thanks for rushing me a suit

Rolf Prima, nuun, K-Swiss blueseventy = you are always awesome

2 comments:

  1. Nice race bro. Fun catching up with you. Enjoy Kona.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Met you at the K-Swiss booth at IM Louisville, happened to stumble across your blog! Congrats on your 10th place finish!

    ReplyDelete