Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Crazy August & Racing The Off-Road Way

Hey Team,

Well August has been a Crazy month.

It all started in early August when we were in Penticton Canada for Kate to compete in her first Ultra-man event. "Ultra520k Canada" DAY1: 10KM Swim & 155KM Bike, DAY2: 275KM Bike, DAY3: 84.4KM Run (Double Marathon)
She did extremely well and created history by being the first woman to win an Ultra-man event out-right, She beat all the men!!
You can read all about it here: http://www.katebevilaqua.com/blog/ There are also a number of interviews and article's oh her facebook page!! It was awesome to crew for her and be part of those three days and history. I guess I can't complain about long run days anymore!!

It was then back to Boise for a few local races!!
First off we had Emmett Triathlon on the 8th, it also acts as the Idaho Olympic distance champs!! My body wasn't co-operating during the race, but I managed to hold on for the win against some quality local athletes. (I felt like I had raced the Ultra-man the week before, but in reality I had just sat in the car for 3 days)

Still It was a good /fun way to blow out the cobwebs and get back into some hard training!!




Next up was  XTERRA Wild Ride McCAll this past weekend!!(23rd August) The last XTERRA I raced wasn't great I ran out of talent on a descent and knocked myself out. This time though my skill level was up and I was ready to rumble.

Swimming in McCall is always tough being it's at 5000 feet. But I managed ok and came out of the water with a small lead.  My legs came to party on the bike and my CEEPO Mamushi rolled through the twisty single track with ease!!
It wasn't till the second lap that Micheal Tobin caught me. (Micheal has won Xterra World champs before and is a legend in off-road racing) Lucky for me he was racing in a team with Kate and didn't get to far ahead!!
Getting off the bike I found I had great run legs. (The running has definitely come a long way this year, thanks to coach Jeff Shilt) I finished the race in first place with a new course record. A record stolen from Chris Ganter, which I'm sure he'll want back!! (sorry Chris)

From here we're off to Challenge Penticton this weekend to race the Half and to finish off the crazy month of August!!

See picture's below from XTERRA McCALL

We'll be back In Boise next week to begin our next training block before heading off to Silverman 70.3 in Las Vegas!

Thanks again for everything team.
Guy




No comments:

Post a Comment