Sunday, May 6, 2012

BUSSELTON 70.3 Wow what a big few months. All starting with IM New Zealand, followed by 70.3 Singapore, Karri Valley Triathlon, WA State 80K TT, Kalgoorlie Olympic , Thailand Samui Long Course Tri and finally 70.3 Busselton. It's been a fantastic start to the year and now the body has 4 weeks to get ready for Honu 70.3 then IM Coeur d Alene in Late June. Back to Busselton 70.3 Race morning rolled round rather quickly, i felt like we'd just gotten off the plane from Thailand. However even with all the travel i felt mentally and physically strong.
We got in for the swim warm up and it wasn't like swimming in a pool AT ALL. The chop was quite servere and once i came in from my warmup i had a quick chat with Paul Newsome ( super swim coach ) and he told me to "Swing baby Swing"...I feel i should define that further. That means when its choppy you need to swing your arms over more and recover with more of a straight arm. His words rang through my head for a good portion of the swim and i got myself into the perfect spot behind Luke Mckenzie and Luke Bell, All and all i had a great swim and was happy with the way i felt and my positioning. Onto the Bike and Luke Bell put in huge effort to close a 25 sec gap to Mckenzie and to say my legs were screaming is an under statement. I tried to go with Bell, but had to settle into my own rhythm after a few K's. I ended up being caught by a few guys and riding the remainder of the cycle leg with them. We Came off the bike 2mins back from the Luke's, White and 3:30 down on the leader. I wanted more from my cycling legs, Not quite sure why i didnt have the legs i usually do but happy i felt strong towards the end of the bike. ( good sign for IM )
Out onto the run and i was on a roller coaster ride, i felt great then i felt crap, then great, then crap.. At the end of the day i felt like i ran strong, unfortunately it wasn't as fast as i would have liked. I ended the day in 7th place. A happy 7th, i gave all i had today and while i wanted more i am happy in the fact i gave 100% of what i had.
It's time for Kate and i to pack up our gear and get ready for our 6 month stint in the USA. Thanks again for all the support. I'm looking forward to kicking off my US season in a few weeks time.
Cheers Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment